Here are some general recommendations on how to be prepared in case of an emergency with your pet.
Keep several phone numbers conveniently located. These include:
- Your primary care veterinarian
- The closest pet emergency hospital
- Animal poison control number (888) 426-4435
- Become familiar with the location of the nearest emergency clinic.
- Have a pet carrier available to transport your pet to the emergency clinic.
- Avoid prolonged periods of activity during extremely weather.
- Make sure your pet always has access to plenty of fresh water.
- Keep your pet under complete control when outside and not within a fenced area.
- Have a muzzle for your pet available in case your pet becomes injured and in significant pain. Ask your primary care veterinarian how to properly apply a muzzle to your pet.
- Keep all medications out of reach of your pets.